Harry Redknapp is fully aware that he is the people's choice to become the next England manager.

The Tottenham boss insists, however, that until he receives an approach from the Football Association, he remains focused on his duties at White Hart Lane. Redknapp is the overwhelming favourite to succeed Fabio Capello as national coach after the Italian quit his post last week, having clashed with the FA over their decision to strip John Terry of the England captaincy.

Redknapp has spent the majority of this week in Abu Dhabi resting following a draining 13-day trial which ended with him being cleared of two counts of tax evasion, and the 64-year-old told Abu Dhabi Sports: "I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't the popular choice. I know I am, it's been everywhere, in every paper every day. But it's not an easy one."

He added: "This week we have Stevenage in the FA Cup, then we have Man United, then we have Arsenal, then we have Chelsea. We have some fantastic games.

"It's an important time for me with Tottenham."

Redknapp hinted for the first time on Thursday that he would be willing to take charge of England for the European Championship this summer while remaining in his current position as Spurs boss.

The former Portsmouth manager insists fulfilling both roles on a long-term basis would be an impossible feat, however.

"Part-time? In the short term I think it's possible for the European Championships," Redknapp said. "In the long term it's not possible to manage a club team and manage a national team.

"It's difficult enough to manage in the Premier League without having to worry about managing the England team as well. You want to be watching England players play, you want to be watching the opposition.

"I think whoever they give the job to could only do the one job."

Source: PA